Tuesday, July 9, 2013

Guessing Game #9 Tuesday Tutorial

Hello everyone! Charissa here with a layout using the Main kit and Embellie kit and a tutorial on making a watercolor and molding paste background.

Tutorial Photo 1

I love using mixed media techniques and elements on my scrapbooking pages. They add lots of extra dimension and such fun effects. I really like the non-perfect nature of how they always turn out too. You never know what you will get.

Collage for adding watercolor background

I started out by taking some yellow and orange gelatos from my stash and my water brush to create the watercolor background. I first added lots of little “circles” of my lightest yellow and blended them out with my water brush. Once that was dry, I added circles of my other colors in a random way. Of course, I say random and honestly I agonized over the placement, trying to make sure I had balance.
From there I took my water brush to the gelatos again to create the background.

Tutorial Photo 3

At that point, I put a glob of white molding paste from my stash onto a spare piece of paper and mixed in a little bit of an off white color mist (also from my stash) in with it. I mixed it because I wasn’t using a true white cardstock for the background, so I didn’t want the molding paste to be quite as stark white. Then I taped down a mask from my stash to the paper.

Tutorial Photo 4

At that point, I used a craft stick to smear a thick layer of molding paste all over the mask. I made sure that it was thick enough that I really couldn’t see any of the mask at all. Because the mask is only about 6 inches tall, I had to do the process twice to complete the entire 12 inch molding paste border.

Tutorial Photo 5

You can see that the molding paste triangles do not quite fill the whole length of the page – there is a gap in the middle – but I knew I’d be covering that part up with the rest of my layout so I wasn’t worried about it.

Tutorial Photo 6

From there I built the rest of my layout right on top of the molding paste and watercolored background. I used my Silhouette Cameo to cut the title and added one of the Travel Girl brads from the Embellie kit to dot the “i.” I did lightly sketch around the edge of the title with a marker to make it stand out a bit more.

Tutorial Photo 7

I clustered embellishments together across the layout, using the wooden Maya Road frames from the Embellie kit, along with the ombre twine from the main kit and the SC wood veneers and the washi tape. I love how each cluster came together. Hope you enjoyed this tutorial! Until next time!!

16 comments:

  1. Very cool tutorial Charissa and with great results! If only I was brave enough to play with molding paste...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Give it a try! It really isn't as scary as it seems. I stick with masks that have bigger defined edges - like the triangles. I haven't been brave enough to try it with a finer mask like a lattice or similar.

      Delete
  2. This turned out amazing! Great job, Charissa!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Charissa, what a cool technique and beautiful layout!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks - such a fun and easy way to add some major impact.

      Delete
  4. Charissa, I am in love with the textured background! super awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love the effect of the watercoloring as a layer and the molding past adds nice dimension. So cool!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Fun layout! Thanks for all of the tips with the molding paste.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Holy cow, I LOVE this technique for the textured background! Amazing layout, Charissa! :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Very cool technique! Love the texture it adds.

    ReplyDelete