Sunday, July 19, 2015

Sunday Sketch with Aimee

Hi, Aimee here and I am hanging out with you today for the Sunday Sketch. I’ll the the first to put my hands up and say I am not that great at sketches, but I must admit I am pretty proud of this one. 



And here is my take:


I haven’t taken a lot of photos since I became pregnant, so when I saw I drew the sketch with 6 photos I was really stuck for ideas. I was bemoaning this fact to my husband when he jokingly suggested I take screenshots of the game I play whenever we are stuck waiting for doctors appointments, scans and tests - So I did! The 6 photos are of the postcards you get in Two Dots when you finish a stage and this my friend is no mean feat. Each stage has about 40 levels and they release another stage once every month or so. Even though I have finished the game for this month, next month I will have a whole new challenge for my 20 week scan.


The sketch it self has been stripped back to it’s bare bones. I always find it easier that way. Then you can decide what is really important and what is just embellishing for embellishment sake. I decided very early on that I wanted to play up the Two Dots theme with a row of two dots down the right side with the papers in this months kit that best matched my photos. I was really happy with the effect, but it left a lot of white space, So I decided to add some texture and interest by sewing down a strip of the paper bag our kit comes in. I’d like to say my messy stitching is a design feature, but the truth is I couldn’t sew a straight line if my life depended on it.


Oh while we are talking about texture - How awesome is the denim in this months kit! I used a small cut of it to back the white alpha title to great effect. It just adds another layer of 'cosy' to the spread. If I am really honest this layout doesn’t photo nearly as well as it looks in person. The paper from the bag, the messy stitching, the wood accents, the water colour splashes and denim all have a very tactile vibe. It really is a layout you want to touch. 


Well that about wraps it up for me today. I really hope you will give this sketch a go and I am dying to see how you all used this months kit. Did you find it as warm and cozy as I did?

Aimee Xx

7 comments:

  1. I love this sketch but I love Aimee's interpretation even more! From the punched border to the colors to the choice of embellies, it is all very inspiring 💕

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is SO great Aimee! Love everything about it :).

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love the screen shot idea. Yay for creative husband's ideas! It's funny how they just make a joke and don't realize they are wonderful inspiration. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love the screen shot idea. Yay for creative husband's ideas! It's funny how they just make a joke and don't realize they are wonderful inspiration. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love the screen shot idea. Yay for creative husband's ideas! It's funny how they just make a joke and don't realize they are wonderful inspiration. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Soooooooooooooo cool Aimee! And Yessssss - this game is addictive!

    ReplyDelete